Director of Communications and Engagement
Hours: Full-Time (must be willing to work occasional weekends and evenings)
Rate of Pay: Salary commensurate with experience
Founded in 2010 in Cincinnati, FotoFocus is a non-profit organization created to celebrate and champion photography as the medium of our time through programming that ignites a dialogue between contemporary lens-based art and the history of photography. FotoFocus presents lens-based signature programming including the FotoFocus Biennial, FotoFocus Symposium, FotoFocus Film Program, and FotoFocus Lecture Series.
FotoFocus has collaborated with organizations, curators, academics, and artists to present more than 750 exhibitions and programs to provide uniquely enriching access to lens-based art, film and practices inspired by photography. FotoFocus has awarded over 500 grants to support partners presenting project and educational programs that are accessible and engaging to the public.
FotoFocus is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The FotoFocus Director of Communications and Engagement must be an enthusiastic and organized candidate willing to collaborate and work closely with other departments in the organization. The position requires someone with demonstrated experience in management, public relations, digital marketing, public speaking, special events, and community outreach.
The Director of Communications and Engagement organizes and manages all external messaging and awareness for the organization and furthers the organization’s mission and program. The position oversees the Events Team and membership programs and requires someone willing to work on a variety of tasks in different avenues of the organization; including, but not limited to, Communications, Curatorial, Development, Events, Finance, and Design.
- Deliver and oversee all external communication in partnership with the organization’s national PR firm; press releases, social media, marketing materials, advertising, etc.
- Work directly with the Curatorial Team to deliver an approachable and diverse program and brand to the public
- Direct the messaging and oversee the writing staff of the FotoFocus online editorial platform, The Lens
- Manage content and growth of the FotoFocus social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
- Oversee and monitor all external outreach efforts, including the FotoFocus Events Team and membership programs (FotoFocus Passport Holders and Patrons)
- Contribute event and promotional content for invitations, handouts, mailers, eblasts and the FotoFocus website
- Collaborate with the web developer to enhance the FotoFocus digital experience and membership platform
- Maintain and enhance the FotoFocus network via social media, e-blasts and membership programs
- Monitor and control Advertising and Promotion budget
- Represent FotoFocus at exhibition openings and other community events
- Engage with photography enthusiasts, universities, institutions, and general public to build awareness of the FotoFocus brand
- Encourage relationships and facilitate cooperation throughout the regional arts, academic, and business communities
- Develop community partnerships and garner support from local businesses
- Work closely with the Events Team to build a thriving and engaged Patron (VIP) and Passport Program
- Must be willing to work occasional nights and weekends (Primarily in September and October for the FotoFocus Symposium and Biennial)
- Hire and train seasonal staff, volunteers, and event support staff
Credentials, Experience, and Characteristics
- Bachelor’s degree. Coursework in marketing, communications, desired
- 3-5 years of professional public relations and marketing experience
- Proven track record in social media management and community outreach
- Excellent organization and writing skills
- Comfortable with public speaking and representing the organization to the public
- Extensive experience with an ability to adapt and communicate with multiple levels of organizations, including management of the Events Team
- General understanding of Mailchimp, WordPress, Photoshop, online content creation, and user experience
- Ideal candidates will have a passion for photography
Please send cover letter, resume, contact information for three references, and salary requirements to Mariej@fotofocus.org. Initial review of materials will begin in July 2021 and the position will remain open until filled.