Director of Finance and Administration
Rate of Pay: Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive package of health benefits and SIMPLE IRA.
Reports to: Executive Director
Founded in 2010 in Cincinnati, FotoFocus is a non-profit organization created to celebrate and champion photography as the medium of our time through programming that ignites a dialogue between contemporary lens-based art and the history of photography. FotoFocus presents lens-based signature programming including the FotoFocus Biennial, FotoFocus Symposium, FotoFocus Film Program, and FotoFocus Lecture Series.
FotoFocus has collaborated with organizations, curators, academics, and artists to present more than 750 exhibitions and programs to provide uniquely enriching access to lens-based art, film and practices inspired by photography. FotoFocus has awarded over 500 grants to support partners presenting project and educational programs that are accessible and engaging to the public.
FotoFocus is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Chief Financial and Administration Officer is committed to advancing the FotoFocus vision to inspire conversations about the world through the art of photography, and its mission to present and promote the finest in photography and lens-based art. This position requires both strategic and hands-on financial and operational leadership, and must be capable, proactive, and responsive to the evolving environment of education and the arts. The Director of Finance and Administration reports directly to the Executive Director, and works with all members of the FotoFocus team and Board of Directors. This position frequently interacts with contractual personnel, volunteers, the marketing firm, visiting artists, constituents, and Participating Venues. As a member of the FotoFocus team, the Director of Finance and Administration represents and promotes the FotoFocus Biennial and annual programming within the education and arts community. This is a progressive position, with a role that will expand and develop as FotoFocus returns to full operating in late 2021 and into the 2022 Biennial year. The Director of Finance & Administration should expect a blended working model, with both remote work and meetings at the FotoFocus location, 212 East 14th Street, Cincinnati, OH.
- Develop, implement, and ensure appropriate systems for financial and business affairs – current software program is Accounting Relief with 76 established accounts.
- Hands-on management of accounts payable, including issuing checks and authorizing bank wire transfers, and review and payment of credit card accounts. Obtain and reconcile receipts with expenditures and Vendor statements. Complete credit applications from Vendors and maintain Vendor records.
- Record of cash and electronic deposits.
- Monitoring and monthly reconciliation of checking and savings accounts.
- Preparation and distribution of Quarterly Income Statements, including detailed reports to Executive Director and team members and consolidated reports for the Board.
- Preparation of Quarterly Balance Sheet for Board of Directors.
- Preparation of Quarterly reports by department and events for team members.
- Preparation of financial reports as requested, including history of grants to Participating Venues, exhibition and programming expenses, special events, advertising and marketing.
- Development, monitoring, and revisions of an annual budget based upon past reports, and projections updated as developments are on-going in programming.
- Oversight of payroll functions and required HR filings and taxes.
- Preparation for non-employee compensation filing of 1099 Forms.
- Preparation of materials necessary for CPA completion of the annual Form 990, followed by review and distribution of the draft 990 before final submission.
- Submit and authorized bi-weekly payroll. Record bi-weekly payroll in financial record. Maintain payroll records, tax filings, Workers’ Compensation and Unemployment forms.
- Implement and administer employee health, dental, vision, life insurance benefit. Perform annual review of benefits and evaluate benefit contract bids to recommend benefits program to CEO. Award benefit contract. Provide, process and retain benefit forms.
- Administer and coordinate SIMPLE IRA plan. Including bi-weekly funding of account with payroll deductions and FotoFocus matching funds. Maintenance of records and filings.
- Assists in the hiring of employees with placement of recruiting advertisement, job description, proposed salary, resume review, interviewing, counseling on candidate selection, writing employment letter.
- Maintenance and retention of personnel files.
- Review and update Employee Handbook periodically.
- Schedule and participate in annual reviews when appropriate.
- Review pay structure with CEO to develop determine salaries for the annual budget.
- Provide and retain Acknowledgement & Annual Disclosure Statement forms.
- Review and approve Letter of Agreement with Independent Contractors.
- When necessary offer employee support, hearing and resolving employee grievances and disputes, counseling on employee relations.
- Review and update approved the written institutional Policies, including Sharing Email and Mailing Lists, Conflict of Interest, Nondiscrimination, Expense Reimbursement, Whistleblower, Record Retention and Document Destruction, Joint Venture, Gift Acceptance, and Process of Determining Compensation.
- Write draft document of proposed new policies and procedures, when requested.
- Maintenance of institutional forms and records – tax-exempt letter and IRS rulings, tax-exempt certificates as needed, Ohio Corporate Continued Existence Form, Certificate of Shares of Stock in Safe Deposit Box.
- Review of contracts for liability and contractual commitments with the assistance of legal counsel as needed.
- Oversight of Commercial Package and D & O insurance Policies, including requests for Certificates of Insurance, additional insurance coverage, and insurance claims.
- Preparing and submitting grant reports as necessary to granting organizations.
- Assist in grant applications and reports to various corporations and foundations and government grants.
- Present quarterly Income Statements and Balance Sheet reports to the Board of Directors and annual presentation of the Form 990 for Board approval.
- Serve on institutional committee as requested, including Strategic Planning and Facilities
Credentials, Experience and Characteristics
- A bachelor’s degree with an emphasis on accounting or business preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as director of not-for-profit finance department, including development and strategic planning for organization.
- Hands-on financial functions, accounts receivable and payable, general ledger, payroll, reconciliations, preparation of income and balance sheet, budget development, monitoring, and projections, state and federal reporting.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience with non-profit Board, including institutional policies and strategies, legal and compliance documents, corporate minutes and records.
- Must be self-directed and work independently, as well as responsive to the needs of the FotoFocus team and constituents.
- Professional and personable, capable of represent FotoFocus in the arts community and general public.
Please send cover letter, resume, contact information for three references, and salary requirements to Mariej@fotofocus.org. Initial review of materials will begin on April 22, 2021 and the position will remain open until filled.